|NUDE PICTURES: 1|
|Saoirse Ronan GALLERIES|
|NEWS ARTICLES: 20,869|
|LAST UPDATED: September 13, 2018|
Saoirse Ronan Biography
- Saoirse is an Irish actress. She was born in New York City, New York, United States. Her father is Paul Ronan, an Irish actor, and her mother is Monica Ronan. When Saoirse was age 3, the family moved to Ireland. Saoirse grew up in County Carlow, Ireland. Saoirse made her first TV appearance with a small role in a few episodes of the TV series, "The Clinic" (2003). Her first film appearance was in the 2007 movie, I Could Never Be Your Woman (2007). Saoirse received international fame after appearing in the movie, Atonement (2007), which was directed by Joe Wright . The movie co-starred Keira Knightley and James McAvoy. The film was successful, both critically and commercially, and Saoirse earned an Oscar nomination for her role. She became one of the youngest people to be nominated for an Oscar. After this, she continued to earn success and fame. Between 2008 to 2011, she starred in a number of successful movies, including City of Ember (2008), which earned her a nomination for Irish Film & Television Award, The Lovely Bones (2009), for which she was nominated for a BAFTA Award, and The Way Back (2010/I), for which she won Irish Film & Television Award for Actress in a Supporting Role. Saoirse Ronan lives in County Carlow, Ireland.
Saoirse Ronan Filmography
- (2014) How to Catch a Monster as
- (2014) Mary Queen of Scots as Mary
- (2014) The Grand Budapest Hotel as
- (2013) How I Live Now as Daisy
- (2013) Justin and the Knights of Valour as Talia (voice)
- (2013) The Host as Melanie Stryder/Wanda
- (2013) Weekend Ticket as Herself
- (2012) Byzantium as Eleanor
- (2011) 8th Annual Irish Film and Television Awards as Herself
- (2011) Big Morning Buzz Live as Herself
- (2011) Hanna as Hanna
- (2011) Hanna: Adapt or Die as Herself
- (2011) Hanna: Central Intelligence Allegory as Herself
- (2011) The Jonathan Ross Show as Herself
- (2011) Violet & Daisy as Daisy
- (2010) 15th Annual Critics' Choice Movie Awards as Herself
- (2010) Film Fiend as Herself - Guest
- (2010) Guión busca estrella as Herself (also archive footage)
- (2010) Janela Indiscreta as Herself
- (2010) Kari-gurashi no Arietti as Arrietty (voice: UK version)
- (2010) The 7th Annual Irish Film and Television Awards as Herself - Award Presenter
- (2010) The Way Back as Irena
- (2009) Live from Studio Five as Herself
- (2009) The 6th Annual Irish Film and Television Awards as Herself - Award Winner
- (2009) The 7PM Project as Herself
- (2009) The Lovely Bones as Susie Salmon
- (2008) An Evening at the Academy Awards as Herself
- (2008) Bringing the Past to Life: The Making of 'Atonement' as Herself
- (2008) City of Ember as Lina Mayfleet
- (2008) Fred as Herself
- (2008) La noche de los Oscar as Herself
- (2008) Oscar, que empiece el espectáculo as Briony Tallis - aged 13 (archive footage) (uncredited)
- (2008) The 80th Annual Academy Awards as Herself - Nominee: Best Actress in a Supporting Role
- (2007) Atonement as Briony Tallis, aged 13
- (2007) Death Defying Acts as Benji McGarvie
- (2007) I Could Never Be Your Woman as Izzie
- (2007) The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey as Celia Hardwick
- (2007) The Graham Norton Show as Herself
- (2007) The Graham Norton Show as Herself (archive footage)
- (2007) Up Close with Carrie Keagan as Herself
- (2007) Xposé as Herself
- (2005) Attack of the Show! as Herself
- (2005) Attack of the Show! as Herself - Guest/Actor
- (2005) Made in Hollywood as Herself
- (2005) The Hour as Herself
- (2004) Proof as Orla Boland
- (2003) Jimmy Kimmel Live! as Herself - Guest
- (2003) The Clinic as Rhiannon Geraghty
- (2000) Breakfast as Herself - Actress
- (1996) Access Hollywood as Herself
- (1993) Good Day L.A. as Herself
- (1988) Sidewalks Entertainment as Herself
- (1984) Cinema 3 as Herself
- (1975) Good Morning America as Herself - Guest
- (1962) The Late Late Show as Herself
- () Testament of Youth as Vera Brittain
Saoirse Ronan Trivia and Facts
- Her first name is Irish and means "freedom". Her last name means "little seal".
- Her father is established actor Paul Ronan , known for films like The Devils Own (1997) and Veronica Guerin (2003).
- Her parents are Paul Ronan and Monica Ronan.
- Has a border collie dog named Sassy.
- In traditional Irish, the name Saoirse is pronounced "seer-sha", and that is the way she pronounces it when shes in Ireland. When shes talking to people from North America she pronounces it "sur-shuh".
- Was in New Zealand when it was announced that she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role in Atonement (2007).
- Was ranked #23 on Entertainment Weeklys 30 Under 30 the actress list. (2008).
- Although she was born in New York City, she was raised in Ireland.
- She does not watch football, but supposes she supports Manchester United.
- She says she misses her dog Sassy the most whilst shes away from home.
- Her favorite books are "City of Ember" and "The Secret of Platform 13".
- In 2008, at the age of 13, she became the seventh youngest actress to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Atonement (2007). The only actresses younger than her to be nominated are Tatum ONeal , Mary Badham , Quinn Cummings , Abigail Breslin , Patty McCormack and Anna Paquin.
- Is an only child.
- Moved from New York to Ireland when she was three and has lived there ever since.
- Peter Jackson cast her with the intent of having an "unknown" play the lead role of Susie Salmon, but things changed when in the middle of filming The Lovely Bones (2009) , Ronan was nominated for an Oscar, BAFTA, and Golden Globe for her performance in Atonement (2007).
- Was cast in Ridley Scott s vision of Robin Hood (2010) , but dropped out in order to do Peter Weir s film The Way Back (2010/I).
- Peter Jackson cast her as the lead character in his film The Lovely Bones (2009) based on an audition tape she sent in from Ireland. They were so impressed by the tape that they did not even meet her prior to offering her the role.
- TIME Magazine ranked her performance in The Lovely Bones (2009) as the 3rd greatest female performance of 2009 just behind MoNique and Carey Mulligan , and ahead of Meryl Streep.
- She was offered the role of Kitty in Anna Karenina (2012/I) but turned it down to star in Byzantium (2012) and The Host (2013). Her reasoning for turning down the film was its long production schedule which would have required her to turn down movie roles from Fall 2011 to late Spring 2012 to film what would have ended up as a supporting role. By the turning down the role, she was able to take the lead role in two films. She was replaced by Alicia Vikander.
- Sported a green Alberta Ferretti dress on the occasion of the Academy Awards for her first Oscar nomination (at age 13) for Atonement (2007) (Kodak Theatre / 24 February 2008).
Saoirse Ronan Quotes
- He has a great way of getting the message across, like if Im confused about doing a scene or a certain line or something, he explains it so well and so clearly. Hes just fantastic (On Joe Wright , director of Atonement (2007) ).
- Briony Tallis is such an amazing character and Im so lucky to play her.
- Its unbelievable. Mom and I were in bed and dad was waiting up for the announcements again, because thats the way my daddy is. Its kind of a bit weird actually, in a good way, in a fantastic way. I never expected this in a million years to happen. I cant believe it. Im really proud as well that two Irish paddies have been nominated for an Oscar for the same film. Its really great for Ireland, great. - On being nominated for an Oscar.
- Its not work, it is more of a passion. It is so much fun and it is really makes you feel great at the end of the day. You feel like you are really after doing something good and you are after accomplishing something. Acting is one of these things that I cant really describe - its just like, why do you love your mum and dad? You know, you just do.
- I like books that are exciting and that make you think about things, as well. I like things that have a twist - like Atonement (2007) , which I havent read obviously, as Im a bit young.
- Be the person Im playing. Thats what acting is. Youre pretending to be someone else.
- It wasnt one of those things where you hear about it and you jump up and down and scream. We just sat there [on the couch in their living room] and were trying to figure out what they just said. "Wait a minute, Ive been cast in a Peter Jackson film. For a few days, it was weird. I was just trying to get my head around it - on how she reacted when she found out shed been cast as "Susie Salmon" in The Lovely Bones (2009) .
- I know a lot of people must think that The Lovely Bones (2009) is a pretty dramatic film and its going to be really deep and dark and everything, but I promise you its not. Its really humorous and funny and bright and happy. Then this awful thing happens and it kind of makes everyone really sad, obviously, but they have to get on with things. Its like the journey that Susie takes to learn to let go and realize that she cant be with her family anymore, and the same for her family. They have to let go and they know that they cant be with Susie. But its a really funny, lighthearted thing. Theres some really dramatic scenes in it as well, which is great with The Lovely Bones (2009) because you kind of get the best of both worlds. You get to do funny scenes and dramatic scenes. You get to cry, you get to laugh, so its great - talking about The Lovely Bones (2009) .
- [on developing a voice pattern for the character Wanda in The Host] We looked at people like Jane Fonda in the 70s, just intonations in their speech and how well-spoken they all were. Jane Fonda doesnt sound like an alien, but she was very, very well-spoken, she still is. She has a quite beautiful way of speaking. We dont really have that today with young women.
Saoirse Ronan Trademarks
- Has an uncanny ear for accents
- Clear blue eyes