|NUDE PICTURES: 33|
|Fairuza Balk GALLERIES|
|NEWS ARTICLES: 1,932|
|LAST UPDATED: July 19, 2016|
Fairuza Balk Biography
- "Fairuza!" ("Turquoise" in Farsi) her father exclaimed as he saw her blue eyes: Fairuza Alejandra Balk had just been born on May 21, 1974. Her father Solomon Feldthouse was a traveling musician, and her mother Cathryn Balk was a belly dancer. Her parents split up soon after. Fairuza grew up just north of San Francisco, California, on a commune-type ranch. Her mother later found some work in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It was there that Fairuza began her career at the age of nine on the ABC special The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (1983) . Two years later, she went to the United Kingdom where she attended the Royal Academy of Ballet, the Ramona Beauchamp Agency and the Bush Davies Performing Arts School. Fairuza worked for the Walt Disney Company for a while - at age 11, she was chosen from out of 1,200 girls to play the part of Dorothy, starring in Return to Oz (1985). A year later, she starred as, prophetically enough, The Worst Witch (1986) , a harbinger of her breakout role in The Craft (1996) ten years later. Fairuza and her mother remained in London until 1988, then headed to Paris where the 15-year-old starred in Valmont (1989). The next year, they returned to Vancouver, where Fairuza enrolled in high school, but despite being a movie star, she was shy in class - she ended up doing correspondence courses. Back in Hollywood, Fairuza starred in a string of movies, including Gas, Food Lodging (1992), for which she received an Independent Spirit Award for Best Actress. Following further television and film work, she achieved cult status with her starring role as a teenage witch in The Craft (1996), her breakout film. The same year, she appeared in The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996), in which she did some belly dancing and attracted the attention of Lancashire, England-born co-star David Thewlis. They did another movie together, American Perfekt (1997). Fairuza was also the love interest in the wildly popular The Waterboy (1998) and had a major role in American History X (1998). With a half-dozen movies for 2000, Fairuza is much in demand. Her interests are writing poetry and stories, playing the guitar, singing (her main enjoyment) and dancing. She lives in Venice, California, and has an apartment in New York City.
Fairuza Balk Filmography
- (2014) Thicker as Lonely
- (2013) Another Stateside as Rifka
- (2013) Dose of Reality as Rose
- (2012) Mostly Infamous as Herself - Panelist (archive footage)
- (2012) The Haunting Of as Herself
- (2010) Blood Into Wine as Herself
- (2010) Shit Year as Message Voice (voice)
- (2009) Promise as Sarah Lohan
- (2009) The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans as Heidi
- (2009) The Heart Is a Drum Machine as Herself
- (2008) Celebrity Ghost Stories as Herself
- (2008) Grindstone Road as Hannah
- (2008) Humboldt County as Bogart
- (2006) Orpheus as Karen
- (2006) Wild Tigers I Have Known as Logan's Mom
- (2005) A Year and a Day as Lola
- (2005) Don't Come Knocking as Amber
- (2005) Masters of Horror as Stacia
- (2005) What Is It? as Screaming Snail/Insect/Monkey Girl (voice)
- (2003) Lords of EverQuest as Lady T'Lak (VG) (voice)
- (2003) Personal Velocity: Creating 'Personal Velocity' as Herself
- (2003) Personal Velocity: In Conversation Rebecca, Parker, Fairuza, and Kyra as Herself
- (2002) Deuces Wild as Annie
- (2002) Film Trix 2002 as Herself
- (2002) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as Mercedes Cortez (VG) (voice)
- (2002) Personal Velocity: Three Portraits as Paula
- (2001) Justice League as Penny Dee (voice)
- (2001) Moby: Play - The DVD as Moby's Love (archive footage) (uncredited)
- (2000) 2000 Blockbuster Entertainment Awards as Herself
- (2000) Almost Famous as Sapphire
- (2000) Conjuring 'The Craft' as Herself
- (2000) Red Letters as Gretchen Van Buren
- (1999) Fairuza Returns to Oz as Herself (interview)
- (1999) Family Guy as Connie D'Amico (voice)
- (1999) The Sopranos as Agent Deborah Ciccerone/Danielle Ciccolella
- (1998) American History X as Stacey
- (1998) The Waterboy as Vicki Vallencourt
- (1998) There's No Fish Food in Heaven as Mona
- (1997) American Perfekt as Alice Thomas
- (1997) The Maker as Bella Sotto
- (1996) The Craft as Nancy Downs
- (1996) The Island of Dr. Moreau as Aissa
- (1996) The Witching Hour as Herself
- (1995) Shadow of a Doubt as Angel Harwell
- (1995) Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead as Lucinda
- (1994) Imaginary Crimes as Sonya Weiler
- (1994) Tollbooth as Doris
- (1994) ZZ Top: Breakaway as Vampire Girl
- (1993) Murder in the Heartland as Caril Ann Fugate
- (1992) Gas, Food Lodging as Shade
- (1992) Shame as Lizzie Curtis
- (1992) The Danger of Love: The Carolyn Warmus Story as Lisa
- (1991) Deadly Intentions... Again? as Stacey
- (1989) Valmont as Cecile
- (1988) The Outside Chance of Maximilian Glick as Celia Brzjinski
- (1987) Poor Little Rich Girl: The Barbara Hutton Story as Barbara - age 12
- (1986) Discovery as Molly
- (1986) The Worst Witch as Mildred Hubble
- (1985) Deceptions as Penny Roberts
- (1985) Return to Oz as Dorothy
- (1985) The Walt Disney Comedy and Magic Revue as Dorothy (archive footage)
- (1985) The Whimsical World of Oz as Herself
- (1983) The Best Christmas Pageant Ever as Beth Bradley
Fairuza Balk Trivia and Facts
- When she was born, her father took one look at her eyes and exclaimed "Firuze!" which is Farsi for "turquoise."
- Once appeared as a vampire in a ZZ Top video.
- Born at 3:00am-PDT
- She once fully owned her own Occult Craft shop in California called Panpipes. In 2001, she sold 50% of the business to a co-owner. Later, she sold her remaining share of the store to the current owners.
- Has nine tattoos and a nose ring.
- Has a triangle-shaped tattoo on her shoulder because the soldiers of the Nazi regime branded the symbol on the Romany in concentration camps. This is her way of paying respect to her culture and remembering the suffering her ancestors endured.
- Is of Persian, Romany and Irish heritage/ancestry.
- A 2002 Internet poll confirmed that fans favorite movie she did was The Craft (1996).
- She is dyslexic.
- Enjoys listening to punk rock.
- Plays guitar and piano.
- Loves to read, and her favorite authors are William S. Burroughs , James Joyce , Oscar Wilde , Carl Jung, Isabel Allende , Mikhail A. Bulgakov , Ernest Hemingway and Honoré de Balzac.
-  Ranked #88 in Stuff magazines "102 Sexiest Women in the World".
- Owns several cats.
Fairuza Balk Photoshoots
- "Celebrity Skin" (USA), October 2002, Vol. 24, Iss. 109, pg. 45, by: staff, "Bewitching Beauties"
- "Celebrity Sleuth" (USA), 1997, Vol. 10, Iss. 7, pg. 18-19, by: staff, "Just Arrived: The Craft"
- "Celebrity Sleuth" (USA), 1994, Vol. 7, Iss. 7, pg. 62-63, by: staff, "Baby Look At You Now! - Fairuza Balk"
Fairuza Balk Other Works
- Music video: "Breakaway" by 'ZZ Top' - female vampire (c. 1994).
- Music video: "Funky Ajoyah" by 'Soul Defense Network'.
- Appeared in techno-superstar 'Moby (I)' 's music video for "Natural Blues"
- which began airing in early 2000, along with 'Christina Ricci (I)' .
- (October 2012) Neil Gaiman and his friends (like Lemony Snicket, John Hodgeman, and Fairuza Balk) are doing video read throughs of Coraline a chapter at a time.
Fairuza Balk Trademarks
- Dark hair and pale skin
- Large icy blue eyes
- Husky voice
- Petite figure