Dakota Blue Richards
|NUDE PICTURES: 0|
|Dakota Blue Richards GALLERIES|
|NEWS ARTICLES: 1,469|
|LAST UPDATED: August 23, 2014|
Dakota Blue Richards Biography
- Dakota Blue Richards (born 11 April 1994) is an English actress. Her debut was in the film The Golden Compass, as the lead character Lyra Belacqua. She was also cast as the lead of another two films, Dustbin Baby and The Secret of Moonacre, the latter of which was released February 2009. She also played the character Franky Fitzgerald in the third generation of the E4 teen drama Skins. Richards was born in South Kensington, London, the daughter of Ruby Richards, a social worker. She's of German descent through her grandmother. She was named Dakota Blue because her mother wanted a combination of a place-name and a colour.Dakota was inspired by the Sioux tribe, members of whom her mother had become friends with during a year in the U.S. (her mother also liked the fact that it was unusual as a name) and Blue was Dakota's father's nickname, and her mother thought it went well with Dakota.
Dakota Blue Richards Filmography
- (2013) Lightfields as Eve
- (2013) The Fold as Eloise Ashton
- (2009) Five Miles Out as Cass
- (2008) Dustbin Baby as April
- (2008) Looking for Lyra: Casting Dakota Blue Richards as Herself
- (2008) The Secret of Moonacre as Maria Merryweather
- (2007) Skins as Franky Fitzgerald
- (2007) The Golden Compass as Lyra 'Silvertongue' Belacqua
- (2007) The Golden Compass as Lyra Belacqua (VG) (voice)
- (2003) Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show as Herself
- (1992) HBO First Look as Herself
- (1981) Entertainment Tonight as Herself
Dakota Blue Richards Trivia and Facts
- Ten thousand girls turned up for open auditions in Cambridge, Oxford, Exeter and Kendal for the role of Lyra Belacqua in the adaptation of His Dark Materials: Northern Lights. In June 2006, twelve-year-old Dakota, a Londoner schoolgirl, was awarded the part after the casting directors took a shine to her in the Cambridge auditions.
- Her mother is an American anthropologist.
- Traveled from her home in Brighton to Cambridge for the Lyra auditions under one condition: that she wouldnt be too upset if she was passed over.
- She had just come home grumpy from a bad day at school when The Golden Compass (2007) director Chris Weitz called her. Dakotas mother tried to put him on speaker phone, but accidentally hung up on him. Weitz called back and informed them of the good news.
- Her name, Dakota, is the name of a North American tribe, who are native to the northern plains states of the USA.
- Before being awarded the role of Lyra in The Golden Compass (2007) , she was a fan of the His Dark Materials series, having read the books and gone to see the stage play in London.
- The makers of The Golden Compass (2007) sent Philip Pullman (Author of His Dark Materials trilogy) footage of their 40 favored girls whod auditioned for the role of Lyra. He personally endorsed the two that he favored, one of them being Dakota Blue Richards.
- Is a vegetarian.
- Daniel Radcliffe told her that she always should listen to her mother, while she was filming the big budget The Golden Compass (2007).
- At the age of 13, she was cast in The Secret of Moonacre (2008) through an audition that lasted for merely one day. By the premiere of the Golden Compass, the Secret of Moonacre had already been filmed.
- Loves Tim Burton movies.
- Her favorite movie is Hauru no ugoku shiro (2004).
- Her dream role is as Alice, in "Alice in Wonderland", and was originally going to audition for Alice in Wonderland (2010/I) but found out later, that director Tim Burton wanted a adult actress.
- Hadnt read "The Little White Horse" before she was cast in the movie adaptation (The Secret of Moonacre (2008) ) but read it on a flight to Hungary, where she would film the movie.
- Has a half sister called Maya.
- Has a dog named Pete.
- Became a fan of The Golden Compass at the age of nine.
- Her mother is a social worker.
- Dakotas fathers nickname was Blue.
- Is of German descent (through her grandmother).
Dakota Blue Richards Quotes
- "I feel like I can relate to her. I like to think Im quite brave. I stand up for myself. And I dont let other people tell me what to do. Well, unless its my mum." - Talking about Lyra, her character from The Golden Compass.
- Daniel is very funny and really nice but he does swear a lot. So we had a swear box and he had to put in £1 every time he said a naughty word. By the end he owed me £55.
- One of the things Nicole taught me was, no matter what happens in a scene, you carry on even if you fall in a dustbin. If you get out of the bin and just carry on they might end up cutting it and using part of that scene anyway. But thankfully thats never happened to me.
- I walked past the cinema on the way here, and theres a coming soon poster for the film. Its not a particularly big picture of me, which is good because if it was massive Id be scared and feel like I could never go to my local cinema again.
- I figured if I did something wrong, theyd be, like, Oh my God, why are we working with her? But they were really nice. (on co-stars Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig)
- They had stuffed cats you had to pick up and hold,i t was like, Ewww. And me being a vegetarian, and I dont wear fur - Id come home smelling of dead cats!