|NUDE PICTURES: 91|
|Padma Lakshmi GALLERIES|
|NEWS ARTICLES: 15,024|
|LAST UPDATED: February 11, 2019|
Padma Lakshmi Biography
- Padma Parvati Lakshmi (pronouncedÂ [Ã‹ÂˆpÃ‰Â™dÃŒÂªmaÃ‹Â Ã‹ÂˆpaÃ‹ÂrÃŠÂ‹Ã‰Â™tÃŒÂªiÃ‹Â Ã‹ÂˆlÃ‰Â™kÃŠÂƒmiÃ‹Â]; born September 1, 1970) is an Indian American cookbook author, actress, model and television host. Her debut cookbook Easy Exotic won her the "Best First Book" award at the 1999 Gourmand World Cookbook Awards. She has been the host of the US reality television program Top Chef since season two in 2006, for which she received a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program. In 2010, Top Chef won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Reality-Competition Program. Padma Lakshmi was born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India in a Iyengar Brahmin family. Her father was a Pfizer executive and her mother Vijaya, the first wife of her father, was a nurse who specialized in suicide prevention. Her mother tongue is Tamil. She grew up shuttling between her grandparents in Chennai and her mother in New York. She is her parents' only child from this marriage. Her parents separated when she was age one. They divorced a year later. Both parents later remarried, and Lakshmi has a younger paternal half-brother and half-sister. The latter formerly worked as an actress and classical dancer but is now pursuing a career with children with special needs. In an interview in The Guardian, Lakshmi said, "My father had quit his job as an executive at Pfizer to manage her career. That was kind of like rubbing salt in the wound. I didn't understand why he wanted that relationship with her, and not with me."
Padma Lakshmi Filmography
- (2012) 2012 Primetime Creative Arts Emmys as Herself - Presenter
- (2011) Anderson as Herself - Guest
- (2011) Erin Burnett OutFront as Herself
- (2011) Rocco's Dinner Party as Herself
- (2010) Padma Lakshmi and Dial Join Forces for Charity as Herself - Spokesperson
- (2010) The 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards as Herself
- (2010) The Talk as Herself - Guest
- (2009) A-List Awards as Herself
- (2009) Late Night with Jimmy Fallon as Herself
- (2009) Late Night with Jimmy Fallon as Herself - Guest
- (2009) Lopez Tonight as Herself - Guest
- (2009) Top Chef Masters as Herself - Guest Judge/Host, Top Chef
- (2009) Watch What Happens: Live as Herself
- (2009) Watch What Happens: Live as Herself - Guest
- (2008) A-List Awards as Herself
- (2007) Chelsea Lately as Herself
- (2007) Chelsea Lately as Herself - Guest
- (2006) 30 Rock as Padma Lakshmi
- (2006) Sharpe's Challenge as Madhuvanthi
- (2006) The Ten Commandments as Princess Bithia
- (2006) Top Chef as Herself
- (2006) Top Chef as Herself - Host
- (2006) Top Chef as Herself - Host (voice)
- (2006) Top Chef as Herself - Host/Judge
- (2005) The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson as Herself
- (2005) The Mistress of Spices as Geeta
- (2004) Fashion News Live as Herself
- (2004) Project Runway as Herself
- (2003) Boom as Shiela Bardez
- (2003) Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show as Herself
- (2003) Jimmy Kimmel Live! as Herself
- (2002) Last Call with Carson Daly as Herself
- (2001) Enterprise as Kaitaama
- (2001) Glitter as Sylk
- (2001) Melting Pot as Herself - Hostess
- (2001) Planet Food as
- (1999) Caraibi as Malinche
- (1999) Family Guy as Herself (voice)
- (1999) The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn as Herself
- (1999) Wasteland as Phoebe
- (1998) Il figlio di Sandokan as
- (1997) Linda e il brigadiere as Indian Lady
- (1997) The View as Herself - Co-Host
- (1995) Unzipped as Herself (uncredited)
- (1993) Late Night with Conan O'Brien as Herself
- (1993) Late Show with David Letterman as Herself - Guest
- (1988) Sidewalks Entertainment as Herself
- (1988) Sidewalks Entertainment as Herself - Guest
- (1986) The Oprah Winfrey Show as Herself
- (1952) Today as Herself
Padma Lakshmi Trivia and Facts
- Speaks five languages.
- Has a seven inch scar on her right arm as a result of a major auto crash that she was in as a child.
- Hosted "Padmas Passport" on the Food Network based on her popular cookbook, "Easy Exotic: A Models Low-fat Recipes From Around The World".
- Officially announced engagement to author Salman Rushdie on February 14, 2004, the 15th anniversary of the infamous fatwa issued against Rushdie by Islamic radicals for writing the novel "The Satanic Verses".
- Was discovered by a photographer while spending part of her senior year studying in Spain and he convinced her to begin modeling.
- Attended Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts, USA.
- Wore a Luca Luca purple sari in her April 2004 wedding to Salman Rushdie.
- Listed in People Magazines 100 Most Beautiful issue. (May 7, 2007).
- Ranked #87 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.
- Is the first Indian woman to be a guest on and co-host on the TV show "The View" (1997) in 2007.
- Appeared with Rocco DiSpirito on an episode of "Top Chef" (2006). They both have lived in the same apartment building in Manhattan, located at 415 E. 37th Street.
- On February 20th 2010, she gave birth to a baby girl named Krishna Thea Lakshmi.
- Has battled endometriosis for many years.
- At first tried to conceal the identity of the father of her daughter Krishna, but it was later revealed that Adam Dell , with whom Lakshmi had a short relationship, was the father of the baby.
Padma Lakshmi Quotes
- "In India and Italy, where I lived for a long time, we like healthier, more voluptuous types." (2007)
- "I write cookbooks and Im an actress - two things that arent always compatible, at least for the waistline." (2007)
- The best part of modeling was traveling and increasing my knowledge of world cultures. (December 2007)
- Some of my friends and people in the art world, including women, say they admire my body. I am proud of my body. Some compare it to the Chola bronzes. And they all wonder how I keep myself so fit. (December 2007)
- I was brought to believe that the female form is a beautiful thing. I think its not so much what you do but how you do it that matters. I dont think Ive done anything that was exploitative. (December 2007)
- All the pictures that have been taken of me are artistic. Even if they were provocative or revealing, I dont think they were vulgar. (December 2007)
- I was the first Indian model to have a career in Paris, Milan and New York. I am the first one to admit I was a novelty. (December 2007)
- Its healthy and attractive when a person has a good appetite!
Padma Lakshmi Photoshoots
- "Maxim" (USA), May 2007, Vol. 11, Iss. 5, pg. 43, by: Yariv Milchan, "Spotlight"
- "Celebrity Sleuth" (USA), 2001, Vol. 14, Iss. 3, pg. 42-45, by: staff, "The 25 Sexiest Women of 2001: #14 Padma Lakshmi"
Padma Lakshmi Other Works
- Wrote the best-selling cookbook, "Easy Exotic: A Model's Low-fat
- Recipes From Around The World".
- Cookbook: "Tangy, Tart, Hot and Sweet"