|NUDE PICTURES: 0|
|Roma Downey GALLERIES|
|NEWS ARTICLES: 5,675|
|LAST UPDATED: August 26, 2016|
Roma Downey Biography
- Roma was raised in Derry, then went to the Brighton Art College in England where she received her bachelors. After that, she attended the London Drama Studio, where she was awarded Most Promising Student of the Year when she graduated. Roma was nominated for the Helen Hayes Best Actress Award in 1991 while touring the US with Abbey Theatres production of "The Playboy of the Western World". Her stage credits include the Broadway production of "The Circle", opposite Rex Harrison , and some Off-Broadway Productions, including "Loves Labours Lost", "Tamara" and "Arms and the Man".
Roma Downey Filmography
- (2013) The Bible as Mother Mary
- (2012) CBS This Morning as Herself - Guest
- (2011) Keeping Up with the Randalls as Barb
- (2009) Come Dance at My Wedding as Laura Williams
- (2008) At Jesus' Side as Petra (voice)
- (2006) Made in Hollywood: Teen Edition as Herself
- (2006) Rachael Ray as Herself
- (2005) In the Mix as Guest
- (2005) Made in Hollywood as Herself
- (2005) The Hour as Herself
- (2004) Funky Monkey as Megan
- (2004) Happy Birthday Oscar Wilde as Herself
- (2004) The Survivors Club as Jillian Hayes
- (2001) Second Honeymoon as Maggie Weston
- (2001) The 27th Annual People's Choice Awards as Herself
- (2001) The Division as Reagan Gilancy
- (2001) The Sons of Mistletoe as Helen Radke
- (2000) CBS Cares as Herself
- (1999) A Secret Life as Cassie Whitman
- (1999) Journey to a Hate Free Millennium as Narrator (voice)
- (1999) The 56th Annual Golden Globe Awards as Herself - Nominee: Best Actress in a TV-Series Drama
- (1999) The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn as Herself
- (1999) The Test of Love as Cassie Whitman
- (1998) CBS: The First 50 Years as Herself
- (1998) Fox and Friends as Herself
- (1998) Hollywood Squares as Herself
- (1998) It's a Miracle as Herself - Host (2003-2004)
- (1998) Monday After the Miracle as Annie Sullivan
- (1998) The 50th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards as Herself - Nominee: Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series and Presenter: Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
- (1998) The 55th Annual Golden Globe Awards as Herself - Nominee: Best Actress in a Drama Series
- (1998) The American Red Cross Celebrates Real-Life Miracles as Herself - Host
- (1998) True Stories from Touched by an Angel as
- (1997) Borrowed Hearts as Kathleen Russell
- (1997) Life's Greatest Holiday Stories as Herself
- (1997) The 23rd Annual People's Choice Awards as Herself - Co-Host and Presenter: Favorite Daytime Serial
- (1997) The 49th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards as Herself - Nominee: Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series and Presenter
- (1997) The Most Fascinating Women of 1997 as Herself
- (1996) Miracles and Visions: Fact or Fiction? as Herself - Host
- (1996) Promised Land as Monica
- (1996) The 22nd Annual People's Choice Awards as Herself - Presenter: Favorite New Television Comedy Series
- (1996) The Daily Show as Herself
- (1996) The O'Reilly Factor as Herself
- (1996) The O'Reilly Factor as Herself (archive footage)
- (1996) The Rosie O'Donnell Show as Herself
- (1995) A Child Is Missing as Samantha Hallihan
- (1995) The Last Word as Roxy
- (1994) Hercules and the Amazon Women as Hippolyta
- (1994) Touched by an Angel as Monica
- (1993) Diagnosis Murder as Heather Winslow
- (1993) Good Day L.A. as Herself
- (1993) Intimate Portrait as Herself
- (1993) Late Night with Conan O'Brien as Herself
- (1993) Late Show with David Letterman as Herself
- (1993) New Year as Suzanne Hartman
- (1992) Devlin as Eileen
- (1992) Getting Up and Going Home as Kimberly Stevens
- (1992) The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as Herself
- (1991) A Woman Named Jackie as Jacqueline Bouvier
- (1991) Disney Presents The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage as Danielle St. Clair
- (1991) The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage as Danielle St. Clair
- (1988) Sidewalks Entertainment as Herself - Guest
- (1981) Entertainment Tonight as Herself
- (1979) CBS News Sunday Morning as Herself - Guest
- (1975) Good Morning America as Herself - Guest
- (1975) Saturday Night Live as Herself - Host
- (1968) One Life to Live as Lady Johanna Leighton (1988)
Roma Downey Trivia and Facts
- Her name, Roma originates from both her grandmothers names, Rose and Mary.
- One child; a daughter, Reilly Marie (b.1996)
- (1997) Chosen by "People" magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- Mother, Maureen, died when Roma was 10.
- Has two sisters, Jacinta McLaughlin and Ann Flood.
- The Irish lass was once turned down for a TV commercial for Irish Spring Soap because she didnt sound Irish enough.
- She was one of the two women originally considered for the role of "Xena: Warrior Princess" (1995) , along with Vanessa Angel. She was offered the role that made Lucy Lawless famous but turned it down as she was offered the role of Monica on "Touched by an Angel" (1994) at the same time. She chose an Angel over a warrior.
- Eloped and married her first husband, Leland Orser , in a Roman Catholic ceremony in Rome, Italy.
- Cannot type and admits that she pecks at the keys when typing emails and using her computer.
- Favorite film: Brief Encounter (1945).
- Learned to play the piano as a child, but can no longer play.
- Studied Irish dancing as a child.
- Has two brothers, Lawrence who is two years older than her and a much older brother John, who is a Roman Catholic priest.
- Living with "Survivor" (2000) creator, Mark Burnett (2004).
- Her daughter, Reilly Anspaugh, was an extra and also had a few non-speaking roles on several later episodes of "Touched by an Angel" (1994) and in a few of Romas television movies.
- Della Reese is the godmother of her daughter Reilly.
- Mark Burnett proposed to Roma during a trip to Mexico [December 2, 2006].
- Married Mark Burnett on April 28, 2007 at their home in Malibu. The ceremony was officiated by Della Reese.
- (2009) The Sunday Times List estimated her net worth with husband Mark Burnett at $385 million.
- Best known by the public for her starring role as Monica on "Touched by an Angel" (1994).
- Acting mentor was Della Reese.
Roma Downey Quotes
- One of the reasons I havent been going off on location is because I am the queen of the carpool!
- [When asked about how she felt about turning 40.. She said]: "For me, its a milestone age. Im at a great place in my life. I have exceeded my own expectations in terms of what I wanted to accomplish by this time---I am a mother, a successful working actress, a producer, and an author."
- [on starring in a TV movie with John Schneider ]: Im reunited with John Schneider - tall John! It was nice. It worked so out well. It was great to be back on set, although I think the second or third night, after crawling into bed from a very long day and a lot sitting around and waiting, I remember calling Mark very late at night and us laughing about it and going, Why did I want to do this again? Would you please remind me?
- I have the soul of a singer and do splendidly in the shower, but the world will never hear it. Basically, Im the only Irish person who cant carry a tune.
- [on the charitable organization that she participated --- Operation Smile]: Ive been on multiple international missions with them, and in fact Mark and I last spring took our three children to Jordan, and it was a fantastic experience for all of us. We went knowing we would help change the lives of children, but when we came home, really, it was our lives that had been changed!
- [on her on- and off-screen relationship with gospel singer, actress and evangelist Della Reese , who played Tess]: She has adopted me, and is my mother to this day. My mom died when I was a girl, and her daughter passed away toward the end of the run. She said she always knew God brought her into my life because I needed a mother. What she hadnt realized was that God brought me into her life because she was going to need a daughter. She asked me if I would be her daughter and I said I would, and she said, Then I am your mother. I live here in Malibu and shes in Beverly Hills and we get together every few weeks. She comes to grandparents days at the kids school and its a beautiful relationship, another legacy of love. Im so grateful to the show for that. It gave me a beautiful mother in my life. My mom died when I was 10, and I was so impacted by that, as you can imagine. Often I would find myself in the company of older women fantasizing and longing, dreaming for that maternal nurturing. When Della and I met that first day on the set, it was like wed known each other forever, yet we couldnt have been more different. I was raised a young white child in Northern Island, and here she was this sort of larger than life black woman from Detroit. Yet our souls connected and really, the joy we brought to each other has really been beautiful. When I see reruns of the series and that relationship, I realize there were many ingredients that were part of the shows success. And yet that relationship reflected on-screen what we felt off-screen, and was a great part of the chemistry.
- [When she wanted to know if Della Reese , who played Tess, would also be a surrogate mother to her on "Touched by an Angel" (1994) , long before Della becomes a godmother to Reilly in real-life]: When we met, it was like Della had been given to me as a mother. What you see on the screen is echoed off the screen. Its a very loving relationship. It was instant. The moment we met there was something - a recognition of souls, like we had known each other. She has given me great counsel. There is no safer place in the world than in the arms of Della. Reilly adores her. Of course she spoils her rotten. Last Christmas she gave her a violin and lessons. I told you she spoils Reilly.
- [Of Della Reese ]: One of the most loving and remarkable gifts it gave to me is my relationship with Della Reese [Tess] which, even though weve been off the air for a few years, continues with great love and friendship. Shes the mother I lost when I was 10 and Im the daughter she lost while we were filming. We have adopted each other. She is just a remarkable woman and she brings so much joy not just my life but to the length of my entire family.
Roma Downey Photoshoots
- "Celebrity Sleuth" (USA), 2001, Vol. 14, Iss. 1, pg. 74-75, by: staff, "Touched By An Angel: Untouched By Men?"
- "Celebrity Sleuth" (USA), 1996, Vol. 10, Iss. 1, pg. 50-51, by: staff, "Touched By An Angel: Roma Downey"
Roma Downey Other Works
- (1989) Co-starred in "The Circle", 'Rex Harrison (I)' 's final Broadway
- Spokesperson in TV commercials for Operation Smile, a non-profit
- organization dedicated to helping children with severe facial
- (1991) She co-starred with 'Dabney Coleman' in an unsold television
- pilot called "New Year".
- (February 2007): Played "Miss Fischer" in "A Picasso", a play by 'Jeffrey Hatcher' (Audrey Skirball Kenis Theatre, Los Angeles, California, USA).
- (1999) CD album release titled "Roma Downey - Healing Angel" with words and music by 'Phil Coulter (I)' (Victor Label).