|NUDE PICTURES: 6|
|Waris Dirie GALLERIES|
|NEWS ARTICLES: 745|
|LAST UPDATED: March 22, 2013|
Waris Dirie Biography
- Waris Dirie (Somali: Waris Diiriye, Arabic: Ã™ÂˆÃ˜Â§Ã˜Â±Ã™ÂŠÃ˜Â³ Ã˜Â¯Ã™ÂŠÃ˜Â±Ã™ÂŠÃ¢Â€ÂŽ) (born in 1965) is a Somali model, author, actress and human rights activist. Waris Dirie was born into a nomadic clan in Galkayo, Somalia in 1965. At the age of thirteen, she fled her family in order to escape an arranged marriage to a much older man. She landed in London where she lived with and worked for wealthy relatives. Waris later worked at a local McDonald's, trying to make ends meet after war broke out in her country causing the closure of the Somalian Embassy where she had previously worked.
Waris Dirie Filmography
- (2004) 2004 Women's World Awards as Herself
- (2002) 2002 World Awards as Herself
- (1998) Die Johannes B. Kerner Show as Herself
- (1995) A Nomad in New York: The Day That Changed My Life as Herself
- (1995) Aquí no hay quien duerma as Herself
- (1991) Días de cine as Herself
- (1987) The Living Daylights as Girl (as Waris Walsh)
- (1971) Soul Train as Herself - Host (as Dirie Waris)
Waris Dirie Trivia and Facts
- Contrary to popular belief, she is not related to supermodel Iman . In her book Desert Flower, Dirie states that Imans mother was good friends with her aunt, a relative with whom Waris once lived during her time in London.
- Shocked the world with the bestselling book "Desert Flower," that described how she underwent genital mutilation, and was given in arranged marriage to a 61-year-old man at the age of 13. She escaped and walked for 9 days to reach an uncles house.
- Gained international fame as a model in Chanel ads and as a Bond Girl, before launching her campaign against female genital mutilation in 1996.
Waris Dirie Quotes
- We can give no more excuses for [female genital mutilation]. This is a pure crime against a child. And we are doing it... not God or nature. (2007 U.N. press conference)
Waris Dirie Photoshoots
- "20 ans" (France), August 2000, Iss. 167, pg. 96, "Bonnes et bonnes"
Waris Dirie Other Works
- Model: Revlon, magazine covers